In my job, I have come across a number of resources for helping with issues affecting charities, voluntary organisations, NGOs. And some of them are cheap. Or even free. As both a third sector lawyer and a Scotsman, this brings deep, deep joy to my heart. So, if you have a pressing legal question that you need help with, these free or cheap resources might be a good place to start. And, as always, I’m more than happy to have a chat… General Stuff
- The Charity Commission: The regulator for charities in England and Wales, with extensive information, briefings and regular updates http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/
- OSCR: the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, the independent regulator and registrar of Scottish charities www.oscr.org.uk/
- Legal Week Law: a digital library of thousands of live legal briefings, law updates and legal reports from UK law firms and experts www.legalweeklaw.com
- The Charity Tax Group: The CTG campaigns for charities to seek changes in tax legislation and administration, and sends regular updates to its members www.ctrg.org.uk
- The Small Charities Coalition: help for small charities to access skills, experience and resources to achieve their aims www.smallcharities.org.uk
- Charity Choice: a charity directory and fundraising website, with useful materials and often legal volunteers looking to assist www.charitychoice.co.uk.
- The Charity Finance Group: supporting charity finance professionals, inccluding legal finance issues www.cfg.org.uk
- The FSI: a charity sharing knowledge and training for small charities, including charity law & governance www.thefsi.org
Law Firm Freebies
- BWB LLP: the UK’s leading charity solicitors, with helpful updates on their website, free update events, and regular email updates www.bwbllp.com
- Russell Cooke LLP: charity law specialists, providing update events, information, and emails www.russell-cooke.co.uk
- Stone King: a good alternative for charity questions www.stoneking.co.uk/CharityLaw
- Farrer: an independent law firm advising private families, individuals and charitable institutions www.farrer.co.uk/
- IBB Law: specialist charity lawyers giving practical commercial advice to charities and not for profits http://www.ibblaw.co.uk/services/charities
- MacFarlanes: an international law firm, with experience in private and commercial law, which has updates on its website and sends out regular updates www.macfarlanes.com
Twitter Legal Eagles
- @CharityCommission: the regulator for charities in England and Wales.
- @ScotCharityReg: The Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) oversees Scotland’s 23500 charities.
- @A4ID: working with lawyers to raise awareness of the legal aspects of international development.
- @CharityNotesUK: Jo Coleman, charity lawyer. Tweeting on issues of charity law and governance.
- @ACEVO: the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations, covering many issues including charity law.
- @minforcivsoc: twitter account for Nick Hurd, Minister for Civil Society.
- @TurcanConnell: a firm of leading Scottish charity lawyers and tax specialists.
- @Law_Works: a charity enabling free legal help to individuals and communities in need.
And if you have any general legal questions, do get in touch: andrewkmackay[at]gmail.com and @BetterCharity.